20111231

Phishing Attempt and a free plug for OpenDNS

The other day I received an email that looked like it came from PayPal asking me to verify my account details with my username and password. After about 10 seconds I realized it was a phishing attempt. The sender wasn't a skilled phisher because the full URL to his site was actually displayed. Even though the link displayed "PayPal.com" it wasn't the actual website it was about to take me to. A quick way to determine the website is to look at the last two sections of the URL (or link), the "dot com dot net dot org etcetera...". I'll use the following fake URL as an example.
"http://www . paypal . com . craptastic . imtryingtostealfromyou . in". Even though  PayPal is in the link text the actual website you'd visit would be "imtryingtostealfromyou.in". This link was displayed. in the email. A decent attempt would be to hide the link with text but that can be easily debunked as well just by holding the mouse pointer over the link. The actual URL will appear in either the tool tip or the bottom of the browser.

Being the curious guy that I am I wanted to see the phisher's attempt at a the website. I fired up a virtual machine that I use for testing malware and virus "combat". After clicking the link I was immediately given the warning you see in the screenshot to the right. OpenDNS blocked the URL after it had been discovered it was a fraudulent site. Nice going by those guys. I don't make money with OpenDNS or am I affiliated with them (I wish :) ) I just think this is a great free service and highly recommend it.

No comments:

GraydenTech's Fan Box

GraydenTech on Facebook